If a party is ordered to pay child support and does not do so, then the other party may bring an action called a Motion to Appear and Show Cause and the court may hold the non-paying party in civil and/or criminal contempt. When a party is held in civil contempt for failure to pay child support the judge may provide a purge provision, that is to say that the party may be purged of his or her contempt by paying a certain amount on a particular day, may have an arrearage amount added to the monthly child support obligation or some other provision that is appropriate in the circumstances. In addition, the party who has filed the motion may also seek attorney fees.